Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fantastic Team looking after Dory's Cafe while Pam absconds

I (Pam)  flew off to Perth on 17th March leaving the Cafe in the capable hands of Brenda, Di and Chrissie.  Christine has come in for some extra days too, so that the cafe can happily remain open while I'm away. Geof is in charge of pie making and as he knows his way around the stock both at home and the cafe, will keep things ticking along in that department.

A huge thank you to all concerned for keeping this essential Island service going while I am away! Two days after I left they had the busiest day ever and I felt really guilty about leaving.  Since then things appear to have returned to normal.





Here is a picture of the freshly painted unit I went to Perth to sort out for sale.I scraped all the paint off the tiles in the kitchen and also scraped off a covering that had been sprayed on the bench tops by someone many moons ago.  It all came up quite well as the paint had been protecting the surfaces underneath all this time. Neutral coloured paint in dining room and lounge, IKEA pictures on the wall, carpet cleaned and hey presto, inside done.
Next stop, the garden. Jan (my best friend in Perth) came over and helped me and we worked well into the evening; sweeping, clearing out the dead stuff and repotting the brave plants that had managed to survive months of neglect. Lots of watering, and finally the duck that a previous tennent had left behind was placed in a strategic position to complete the picture. One unit, ready for sale!


I stayed with Chris and Mel (my son and his girlfriend) when I got to Perth and then moved into the unit while I was doing it up. Chris has now got his drivers licence and is the proud owner of a tray back ute. Mel was busy studying for nursing exams.

Chris and Mel joined me for an entertaining dinner at Jack and Lyns. They were in the process of packing for Cocos and will be up there by now. They are hoping that fish wraps will be on the menu at the cafe.

I had a lovely evening with Jeff and Jill who are in the process of moving up to Cocos.  Jill cooked a delicious dinner and Jes (windsurfer) and Amanda went along too.  Jeff and Jill were also kind enough to take me to the airport the next day as I was flying off to England to see my family.Jill will help us out at the cafe when she finally gets there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment